Indiana Room in the Main Library
Home Research Genealogy & Local History Cemetery List

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

A

Albright Cemetery

Location: County Roads 1100 N and west of 700 E in Jefferson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “Albright Cemetery is privately owned and originated in 1848 when Mary Elizabeth, small daughter of John and Rosan Engle was buried here. Data was compiled by Clarence Minniear, member of the Wells County Historical Society.”

S. Dailey walked this cemetery the summer of 1999. No cemetery records or plot maps were available.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel information will be incorporated in the next update.

Apostolic Christian Cemetery

Location: County roads 200 S and 800 E in Harrison Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “ The ground for the Apostolic Christian Church and Cemetery was purchased from Benadict and Anna Baumgartner in 1870. The first person to be buried here was John Meyer, Jr. in 1879. Many names from older records were added to this history. A new section to this cemetery lies across the road but is located in Adams County, French Township. This data was submitted by Mr. and Mrs. John Baumgartner, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

There are several people listed in this cemetery with death dates before 1879: John Frauhiger 1865, Joseph Gehring 1867, Trena Kipfer 1855…

E. Puckett, from Ohio, has been working on this index. She has walked the cemetery several times, gleaned information from available records and is adding information from marriage and obituary indexes. When her book is finished, the library will have a copy.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Asbury Cemetery

a.k.a. McIntire Cemetery

Location: State road #3 and county road 1100 S in Jackson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “The Asbury Cemetery lies adjacent to Asbury Chapel from which it took its name. Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Leonard donated a part of the land for use as a burial ground in 1854. The first burial here was Mr. David Roby in 1833. Data was compiled by Scott Jones, Jerry Dowty and Clarence Minniear.”

According to the Evening News-Banner Centennial edition the first settlers were “Nathaniel Batson, John Jones and Daniel Jones” in 1836. A Jacob Minnich arrived in 1834 and brought his family in 1835. There are no Roby’s on the list of settlers from 1836-1838. Also, no Roby’s are listed for Wells County in the 1830 or 1840 censuses.

J. Kraner walked this cemetery in 1999. It is no longer associated with the church. J. Lieurance let us copy the burial orders that were available. The information from the burial orders was incorporated into this revision.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

B

Batson Cemetery

Location: In Jackson Township turn east on Willow road off of State Road 3 and travel about ½ mile. The cemetery is on the southwest side of the road. (Willow road runs along on the north side of the Salamonie River.)

The original introduction states “The Batson Cemetery site is located on land once owned by Henry Batson. In the early 1920’s the land was donated to the cemetery association by Mrs. William Metz, daughter of Henry. The earliest burial found was an infant child Clara A. Bhart in 1782. Data was submitted by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Hooker, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The earliest settler in Jackson township was Jacob Minnich in 1834 (according to the Evening News-Banner Centennial edition). There are no Bharts listed in the 1807 Indiana Territory Census or the 1820, 1830 and 1840 Indiana censuses.

The Evening New-Banner centennial edition states in the Jackson Township history “Early Settler Listed. Nathaniel Batson, John Jones, and Daniel Jones arrived in 1836 and located near the present site of Batson bridge on State Road 3…In the latter part of 1836 and during 1837-38 …On the north side of the river was Henry Huffman, Phillip Roush, Henry Wolfgang, Sampson Richards, Jacob Clingenpeel, Andrew Morrison, lTruman Lounsbury, Chris Miller, George Colbert, and Sam Batson…south side of the river David Miller, Zebulon Swaim, Henry Wright, Elijah Graves, Jack Perfect, William McIntire, Richard McIntire, James Turner, William Tomlinson, Amos Alspach, Jonathan Lee, Bowen Thorp, Robert Alexander, William Rea Sr., John McFadden, Reason Beavington, Burket Elkins, Samuel Palmer, John Booher Sr., John Baker Sr., William Burkland and Joel Ebersole. Jacob Minnich…1834… Samuel Good…1838…”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery during the summer of 2000. We were unable to find any cemetery records or a plot map.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Bethel Cemetery

Location: County roads 300 S and 450 E in Harrison Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “The first person to be buried in this cemetery was Mary J. Bennett, who died July 2,1830. This data was compiled by Mrs. Nora Biberstine, member of the Wells County Historical Society. “

S. Dailey walked the cemetery during the summer of 1999. Supposedly some information exists on the cemetery. However, we did not receive any as of July 26, 2001. An article from the Evening News, dated May 21, 1926 page three column four, stated “Eighty years ago Bethel Cemetery was set aside for a burying ground, practically by chance as the first person buried there was an infant or small child of Mr. and Mrs. Holman Reynolds, who had a lease on the farm and lived on it.” This makes the first burial about 1846, which seems more accurate than the 1830 date.

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “ Abraham Studabaker came to Wells County in 1833…established his sons here, John, in 1838, and William, in 1839. More Early Settlers Listed. Almon Case…arrived here in 1836…Other early settler…Amos Townsend…Thomas Wallace…John A. Deam…in 1839; Gabriel and John Markley, in 1837; …Adnah Hall, Sr…in 1837…Abraham W. Johnson, on Sept. 24, 1834…”

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Bethlehem Lutheran Cemetery

Location: County roads 750 N and 650 E in Jefferson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “The Bethlehem Lutheran Evangelical Church Cemetery was established by the Church in 1896. The land for the Church and the Cemetery was donated by Andrew Werling, Sr. The first person to be buried here was the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bauermeister in 1896. The first adult to be buried here was Paul Fackler on March 14, 1897. History was submitted by Mr. and Mrs. David Slusser.”

The Wells County Indiana Family History 1837-1992 book on page 73, in the history of Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church and School, states “The church records of St. Paul, Preble, record the death of an infant son of Henry and Friedericke Breier Bauermeister, December, 1896. As a consequence, on Christmas Day of 1896 a cemetery was established which still serves the congregation today.”

S. Dailey walked the cemetery in the summer of 1999. The cemetery records were borrowed and copied. Then the information was added to the original index information.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Bloxsom Cemetery

a.k.a. McDaniel-Dawley Cemetery

Location: center of section # 32, about ½ mile off county roads 1100S-100E in Nottingham Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “This cemetery was established on land once owned by the William Bloxsom family. The first burial was Levi Schooley in 1850. Data was compiled by Mr. Clarence Minnear, member of the Wells County Historical Society.”

This was at one time known as the McDaniel-Dawley Cemetery. Mary McDaniel married William Bloxsom on October 25, 1860 in Jay County.

C. Brubaker and W. Hartman walked the cemetery in 2001. No cemetery records seem to exist.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

C

Colbert Cemetery

Location: Between State Road 218 and County Road 1000 W in Jackson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

This cemetery was not in the original index. Since this is on private property with no roads leading to it, permission must be granted, by Bill Shuttleworth, before entering. The 1881 Historical Hand Atlas shows that William, Isaac and George Colbert owned land in the area. C. Brubaker found 12 graves without any names or information. No one seems to be aware of any records for this cemetery.

None of the follow funeral home records listed the Colbert Cemetery.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

County Home Cemetery

see Poor Farm Cemetery

Crisamore Cemetery

Location: The center of section 12, one-half mile south of County Road 1100 N and one-half mile west of Meridian Road in Union Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “There is no road leading back to this cemetery which might explain why it was never used extensively as a public burial ground.”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery in 2000. No cemetery records or map seem to exist.

Minnie Kinnerk was a caretaker for the Waynedale Cemetery. She kept information on several cemeteries in northern Wells County. We added her information and information from the Wm. Brindle Funeral Home register.

None of the follow funeral home records listed the Crisamore Cemetery.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

E

Elhanen Cemetery

Location: Corner of County Roads 1000 N and 600 E in Jefferson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “The land for this cemetery was donated to the Presbyterian Church by James Ferguson to be used as a public burial ground. The first person buried here was a small son of Francis Double in 1845. This data was compiled by Mrs. Faith Higman, member of the Wells County Historical Society.

S. Dailey walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999. The cemetery book and map were copied in July 1999. The church information starts in 1886. The cemetery information has a list of people and plots but no dates or who is buried in each plot.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Elm Grove Cemetery

Location: State Road 124, 1 mile east of Bluffton in Harrison Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “The ground for this cemetery was purchased from J. H. and Frank Smith in 1902 and was plotted for cemetery use in 1903. Recent State legislation will enable the Elm Grove and Fairview Cemeteries to merge into a consolidated corporation in 1972. Data was submitted by Mrs. Faith Higman, member of the Wells County Historical Society.

An article in the Evening News dated April 1, 1902 states fifty farm acres were bought by “the Elm Grove association for $3,700. It was sold to them by J.H.C. Smith, who last Saturday bought it off of Mr. Lipkey”. The Evening News-Banner Centennial edition states Joseph Painter was the first interment on August 11, 1902.

Because of its size, this cemetery was not walked. The Elm Grove interment records were used to complete some of the information. The Evening News dated May 31, 1904 page 2 column 2 states “…Elm Grove only one soldier, C. H. Buck, is buried.” Mr. Buck is not listed in the original or internment records.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Emanuel Cemetery

Location: County roads 200 N & 500 W in Rock Creek Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “This cemetery was first established by the Reformed Church Congregation. In 1941 the church building and cemetery site was purchased by the Emanuel Church Congregation, thus the cemetery became known as the Emanuel Cemetery. Data was submitted by Mr. & Mrs. Clarence Gordon, members of the Wells County Historical Society.

S. Dailey walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999. We were able to borrow the cemetery records and plot map from C. S. Miller in July 1999. R. Henly incorporated the information into this update. The first person listed in the cemetery records is Isaac Fishbaugh, no dates given.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

F

Fairview Cemetery

Location: State Road 124, ¾ miles east of Bluffton in Lancaster Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “In 1874 a group of fourteen citizens purchased 40 acres of land from Mr. and Mrs. Newton Burwell to be used as a community burial place. It was incorporated in 1902. Twenty-six additional acres were purchased in 1921 from Mr. & Mrs. William Hunt. The mausoleum erected in 1918 holds 260 crypts. Data was compiled by Mrs. Lester Bingaman; Mrs. Bill K. Campbell; Mrs. Thomas Williams and the Girl Scout Cadettes #206.

The Evening News dated October 2, 1902 states Newton Burwell laid out the cemetery over thirty years ago. The Wells County Family History 1837-1992 (page 95) states “Ferdinand Effinger originally plotted the Fairview Cemetery, reserving an area as a Catholic burying ground”.

Due to it’s size the cemetery was not walked for this update, however, the interment records were borrowed, copied and incorporated into the original information.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Friends Cemetery

a.k.a. Rockford Cemetery

Location: County road 100 N between 500 W and 400 W, east of Rockford in Rock Creek Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “The Friends Cemetery is located adjacent to the Rockford Friend’s Church but it is used as a public burial ground. The Reverend Hallett Barber helped establish the Church and Cemetery. The first person buried here was James Roberts in 1821. Data was compiled by Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Higgins, members of Wells County Historical Society.

This cemetery is also referred to as the Rockford Cemetery. The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states Jacob Miller settled in the township in 1832 and William Barton in 1836. There are no Roberts in the list of early settlers. The article also states that “Rev. Hallet Barber died of Cholera in 1849 and was buried in the Rockford cemetery”.

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “Some of the earliest settlers…

Rockcreek township were Jacob Miller…1832; William Barton…1836 and took up residence in a hollow sycamore tree on the Samuel McAfee farm. Between 1832 and 1848 others that came…Mr. Dewitt, William Redding, Solomon Johnson, Thomas Wallace, Matthew Davis, Theodore Ellingham, a Mr. Smith and Mr. Brown.”

S. Dailey walked the cemetery during the summer of 1999.

C. Brubaker re walked this cemetery in November of 2001. She found a plaque with the following inscription:

Original site (across the drive)
Barbers Mill Friends Church
Rockford
1892-1982
Founders Rev. Cyrus Williams
Rev. Myra (Vickery) Webster

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Friends at Keystone Cemetery

see Lincoln Cemetery

G

Gearnand Cemetery

a.k.a Gearnard Cemetery and Grannand Cemetery

Location: On county road 400 E, north of 650 S in Nottingham township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “The land for the Gearnand Cemetery was donated for use as a community burial ground by Peter Gearnand. The oldest marker found was that of Lucinda Foust, who died in 1836, however, there may have been others who are older for many of the stones were broken, missing or unreadable. A partial record had been kept [without dates] of the earliest burials here and these names have been added to our records. This data was compiled by Mrs. Everett King, Mrs. Clara Stout, and Mrs. Olive Worman, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states Joseph Blackledge first settler in 1837. “John Dawson, Lyman Bass, Hezekiah Grimes, Peter Garner, Abram Stahl, John Nutter, Isaac and Edward Haynes, Robert Smith and William Nutter came here with their families in the year following Blackledge’s settlement….Jacob Warner…in 1838”

S. Dailey walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999. Two plot maps were borrowed from G. Warner in July 1999, copied and the information incorporated into this update. The maps did not provide any dates.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Gearnard Cemetery

see Gearnand Cemetery

Grannand Cemetery

see Gearnand Cemetery

Grove Cemetery

Location: On County Road 100 E south of 500 S in Harrison Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “Grove cemetery was founded on land owned by the Grove family. The first person to be buried here was Raymond Travis in 1834. Data was compiled by Mrs. Nora Biberstine, member of the Wells County Historical Society.

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “James Jackson and Henry and Jane (Thrailkill) Mossburg were the first settler…1836-37…His death occurred November 2, 1838 and he was the first white person to be buried in Liberty township…Others to arrive in the years immediately following were G.H. and Johnson King (1837), James Jackson, David Chapman, Stuart Bolton, Benjamin and Margery Mendenhall (1839), John McFarren, David Goings, George Sparks, George P. Mann, James M. Merriman (1839) John Hupp, John Mounsey, Joseph Groves (1839) and Jacob First (1841).”

J. Maxwell and C. Gilbert walked the cemetery during the summer of 1999. Cemetery records were borrowed, copied and the information incorporated in this new edition. The cemetery records begin September 7, 1922.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

H

Horeb Cemetery

a.k.a. Mt. Horeb

Location: On State roads 224 E east of County Road 300 W / State Road 303 in Rock Creek Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “Horeb Cemetery [once known as Mt. Horeb] was situated high on the banks of the historic Wabash River on County Roads 400 N and 325 W. Due to the construction of the Huntington Reservoir, the cemetery was relocated in 1970 east of the intersection of State roads 303 and 224. The Horeb Lutheran Church dedicated 9-30-1860 was located directly in front of the cemetery but was abandoned in 1954. The ground was donated by Jacob and Samuel Haflich. Elizabeth Derr was the first to be buried here in 1830. Data was compiled by Miss Fredith Langley, member of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “Some of the earliest settlers…

Rockcreek township were Jacob miller…1832; William Barton…1836 and took up residence in a hollow sycamore tree on the Samuel McAfee farm. Between 1832 and 1848 others that came…Mr. Dewitt, William Redding, Solomon Johnson, Thomas Wallace, Matthew Davis, Theodore Ellingham, a Mr. Smith and Mr. Brown.” There are no Derrs listed in the 1830 Indiana census and none in Wells County in the 1840 census.

The Horeb Cemetery records states “In June 1860, Mr. Samuel Haflich deeded …small tract of ground on the banks of the Wabash River to be used for Church and burial purposes. The original cemetery comprised about two-thirds of an acre…In 1970, because of the construction of the Huntington Reservoir, the Horeb Cemetery was moved to 5.5 acres near the intersection of Highways 303 and 224. The Department of Army Corps of Engineers purchased from Grace and Clarence Platt for $5,490. The Corps platted the new site and provided markers and maps locating graves moved and lots available.”

J. Christian and V. Tester walked this cemetery during the summer of 2000. Cemetery records were borrowed, copied and the information incorporated into this revised edition.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Hosier Cemetery

Location: About ¼ mile south of the Huntington and Wells County Line east of County Road 1200 S off of 150 E in Jackson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “Hosier Cemetery lies approximately ¼ mile south of Wells County road 150E on a farm owned by the Joseph Wohnlick family. The first person buried here was Wilson Hosier in 1883. Data was catalogued by Mr. Harold Waters and Mr. Clarence Minniear.

June Grove walked this cemetery for this update. Permission is required to visit this cemetery since you need to cross private property. No records were available.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel information will be incorporated in the next update.

Hoverstock Cemetery

Location: On State Road 3 / County Road 300 W about a ½ mile south of Zanesville in Union Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The land for the Hoverstock Cemetery was donated to the community by William and Margaret Hoverstock in memory of his parents Jacob & Phoebe. The first person to be buried here was Allen Knight in 1860. Data was compiled by Clarence Minniear, member of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “ Union township was the last township to be organized…not open for settlement until 1846, having been a part of the Miami Indian Reservation…first settlers…William Rosseau, James Edmundson, Joseph Rich, Milton Davis, Jacob DeWitt, John Wandel, Joseph Davis and E. Bagley.” In the Zanesville Indiana History 1849-1976, it states “William W. Chaney… who helped lay out the Haverstock Cemtery died. (Nov. 28) 1948.”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery for this updated edition.

G. Roebuck let us copy the cemetery records he had. That information was incorporated into this new edition.

Minnie Kinnerk was a caretaker for the Waynedale Cemetery. She kept information on several cemeteries in northern Wells County. Her records were also incorporated into this index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

I

Infirmary Cemetery

see Poor Farm Cemetery

J

Jones Cemetery (Jackson Township)

Location: State Road 3 and County Road 700 S in Jackson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “This cemetery lies directly across the road from the historical marker, denoting the site where the first school house in Jackson Township was built in 1840. The first person to be buried in this cemetery was Mrs. George Harrold in 1870. Data was submitted by Mrs. David Slusser.”

J. Maxwell walked the cemetery for this revised edition. After several phone calls, we had no luck in obtaining any cemetery records.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Jones Cemetery (Union Township)

a.k.a. Sonner Cemetery

Location: On County Road 1100 N, west of 400 W in Union Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “Jones Cementery once known as Sonner Cemetery is situated on a high knoll overlooking
Big Creek. It is no longer used as a public burial ground. The first record found of a burial was Sarah Thomas in 1851. Data
was submitted by Mr. Clarence Minniear, member of the Wells County Historical Society.”
C. Brubaker walked this cemetery for this updated edition.

This cemetery is on private property. Permission is needed to cross it. No records or map available. Minnie Kinnerk was a caretaker for the Waynedale Cemetery. She kept information on several cemeteries in northern Wells County. Her records were incorporated into this index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel information will be incorporated in the next update.

K

Keystone Cemetery

see Lincoln Cemetery

Kreps Cemetery

see Old Salem Cemetery

L

Lincoln Cemetery
a.k.a. Friends at Keystone Cemetery and Keystone Cemetery
 

Location: On County Road 200 W and north of County Road 1000 S on the north edge of Keystone in section 23 of Chester Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The land for this cemetery was donated by the Daniel Lincoln family. Because the Friend’s Church lies adjacent to the cemetery, it is also called Friends Cemetery. The first burial found here was Jeannie Lowry in 1868. Data was compiled by the Melvin E. Harris family.

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “…first settlers of Chester township were Henry McCullick, Newton Putnam, Alpheus T. Stevens, Wilson Brown, Thomas blunt, and Joseph Blunt, who came in 1836; John Lancaster, Jonas Jarett, and Benjmain Starr in 1837; Isaac Lancaster, Alexander Walker, John McCullick, and J Brotherton, in 1838, Levi Philips, Franklin Spaulding, and James Jordon, in 1839…Osmund Morrison …first land entry on March 26, 1834…Lewis Mitchell, on February 16, 1835…

J. Oswalt started walking this cemetery in 1999 and finished in 2000. He gave the library his notes in the winter of 2001.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Linn Cemetery

see Lynn Cemetery

Lynn Cemetery

a.k.a. Linn Cemetery

Location: County roads 500 S and 600E in Harrison Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The Lynn Cemetery is located on a part of the farm that was once owned by the Lynn family. It is no longer in use as a public burial ground. Data was submitted by Mrs. Nora Biberstine, member of the Wells County Historical Society.

S. Dailey walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel information will be incorporated in the next update.

M

McDaniel-Dawley Cemetery

see Bloxsom Cemetery

McFarren Cemetery

a.k.a. Mendenhall Cemetery

Location: North of County Road 500 S and east of County Road 200 W in section 26 of Liberty Township, Wells County, Indiana. The cemetery is on private property and permission is needed to cross the property.

The original introduction states “The land for this cemetery was donated by Benjamin Mendenhall Sr. and it was known as the Mendenhall Cemetery until 1857when the McFarren family purchased the farm, thus changing the name to McFarren. The first person interred here was Mrs. Benjamin [Margery Clingham] Mendenhall, June 2,1843. This data was compiled by M/s. Victo and Ruth Gavin, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “James Jackson and Henry and Jane (Thrailkill) Mossburg were the first settler…1836-37…His death ocurred November 2, 1838 and he was the first white person to be buried in Liberty township…Others to arrive in the years immediately following were G.H. and Johnson King (1837), James Jackson, David Chapman, Stuart Bolton, Benjamin and Margery Mendenhall (1839), John McFarren, David Goings, George Sparks, George P. Mann, James M. Merriman (1839) John Hupp, John Mounsey, Joseph Groves (1839) and Jacob First (1841).”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery during the spring of 2001.

No cemetery information available.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

McIntire Cemetery

see Asbury Cemetery

Mendenhall Cemetery

see McFarren Cemetery

Methodist Cemetery

see Spider Hill Cemetery

Miller Cemetery (Chester Township)

Location: On County Road 900 S and west of County Road 400 W in Chester Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “Mr. Henry Miller donated a portion of the land for this cemetery. The earliest burial date found here was Calvin Carney who died 1833, however the Miller descendants believe Henry Miller’s infant daughter was the first one to be buried, but due to vandalism no marker could be found for her grave. Data was submitted by Mr. & Mrs. Carlin Schoeff, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Historical Hand Atlas Illustrated and the History of Wells County do not list Henry Miller in Chester Township. Both books list him as a landowner in Lancaster Township on November 10, 1832.

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “…first settlers of Chester township were Henry McCullick, Newton Putnam, Alpheus T. Stevens, Wilson Brown, Thomas blunt, and Joseph Blunt, who came in 1836; John Lancaster, Jonas Jarett, and Benjmain Starr in 1837; Isaac Lancaster, Alexander Walker, John McCullick, and J Brotherton, in 1838, Levi Philips, Franklin Spaulding, and James Jordon, in 1839…Osmund Morrison …first land entry on March 26, 1834…Lewis Mitchell, on February 16, 1835…

B. Elliott and C. Powell walked this cemetery in 2000.

No records available

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Miller Cemetery (Jackson Township)

Location: Near County Road 800 S and west of 600 W in Jackson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “This cemetery is located one half on the back of what was once known as the Miller farm and was a private burial ground for the Miller family. The first person to be buried here was Sarah J. Miller, daughter of Christian and Sarah D. Miller. Data was submitted by Mr. Everett P. Mendenhall.”

The small family cemetery was walked and photographed in September of 2000. Photo says recorded by Crosby, Maddox, Quinn and Montgomery. No other records available.

This cemetery is located on private property. Permission must be obtained from the land owner to visit.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier
Miller Cemetery (Jackson Township)  Miller Cemetery (Jackson Township)
Mossburg Cemetery

Location: On County Road 550 W and south of 100 S in Liberty Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “Certain parts of this data was copied from old record books kept by the Mossburg family. Elder Henry Mossburg, who died in 1838, was the first white man to be buried in Liberty Township and the Mossburg Cemetery. The old Mossburg records list burial dates not death dates. The following data was extracted and compiled by Mrs. Clarence Minniear of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “James Jackson and Henry and Jane (Thrailkill) Mossburg were the first settler…1836-37…His death ocurred November 2, 1838 and he was the first white person to be buried in Liberty township…Others to arrive in the years immediately following were G.H. and Johnson King (1837), James Jackson, David Chapman, Stuart Bolton, Benjamin and Margery Mendenhall (1839), John McFarren, David Goings, George Sparks, George P. Mann, James M. Merriman (1839) John Hupp, John Mounsey, Joseph Groves (1839) and Jacob First (1841).”

S. Dailey walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999. The information in the Mossburg Cemetery Caretaker Records (WC 929.5 Mo) was incorporated into this revision. Information from cemetery records on index cards were borrowed from D. Huffman, copied and incorporated into this revised index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Mt. Horeb Cemetery

see Horeb Cemetery

Murray Cemetery

Location: On County Road 400 N and east of 100 E in Lancaster Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “The land for the Murray Cemetery was donated by Oscar and the Reverend Elijah Sutton who preached the first sermon in Wells County. The Sutton families and Elizabeth [Miller] Harvey, the first white child to be born in Wells County, are buried here. Mrs. Martha Hatfield, who died in 1810, was the first person to be buried in Murray Cemetery. Data was submitted by Mr. & Mrs. Guy Wentz members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Historical Hand Atlas Illustrated (WC 912 Hi) states “The first settlement in the county was made in this (Lancaster) township in 1829 by Dr. Joseph Knox and his two sons-in-law, Jacob Van Treese and ____ Varner. Allen and Wm. Norcross came here in 1831…Dr. Knox sold his improvements to Henry Miller in 1832 and Van Treese and Varner sold their improvements to Robert Harvey in the year. ” The Atlas lists Elijah Sutton in Rock Creek Township not Lancaster.

Steve Kunkel and Paul Sell (who are associated with the cemetery) walked the cemetery August - October 1999. When they walked the cemetery, they numbered the rows and counted the stones. This information was incorporated into this revised index. S. Dailey also walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999.

No cemetery records were available.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

N

Nottingham Cemetery

Location: On State Road #1 and County Road 1100 S in the village of Nottingham in Nottingham Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The first person to be buried in this cemetery was a man whose name and data are unknown. The second burial was John Yarger, June 15, 1859. This census record was compiled by Miss Alma E. Hermann, Mrs. Leone Erick and Mrs. Olive McCaffery, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

S. Dailey walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999.

Unable to locate any cemetery records.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

O

Oak Land Cemetery

see Oakland Cemetery

Oak Lawn Cemetery

Location: On State Road # 1 on the end of within the Ossian city limits in Jefferson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “Oak Lawn is one of the last cemeteries to be established in Wells County. Some of the older persons buried here were transferred from older cemeteries. Records have been kept by the cemetery sexton and were recorded by Mrs. Nora Biberstine and Mrs. Faith Higman, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

S. Dailey walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999. Cemetery records are kept on index cards. This information was copied and incorporated into this updated index.

Minnie Kinnerk was a caretaker for the Waynedale Cemetery. She kept information on several cemeteries in northern Wells County. Her information was added to this index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Oakland Cemetery

a.k.a. Oak Land Cemetery

Location: On County Road 300 N east of County Road 700 E / State Road 301 in Lancaster Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The ground for Oakland Cemetery was donated by the Gilliland family. This was also the site where the United Brethren Church once stood but was later abandoned and moved across the road for use as a farm building. So many markers are missing and a complete survey was impossible. Data was compiled by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hoeppner, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

S. Dailey walked this cemetery in 1999.

Cemetery records do not seem to be available.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Old Bluffton Cemetery

Location: On North Oak Street Ext. north of Wabash Avenue in Bluffton, Lancaster Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “Known always as the Old Bluffton Cemetery, it is no longer in use. Markers for war veterans of government issue do not bear birth or death dates. The last burial was in 1918. Data was compiled by Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Minniear, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The original introduction states the last burial was in 1918 but records show later burials. This cemetery was plotted in 1841 by Sylvanus Church. The Evening News in 1901 listed several people who were removed to the Fairview Cemetery. The cemetery had been cleaned-up several years ago but was allowed to become overgrown again. Due to the condition of the cemetery and the stones, this cemetery was not walked.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Old Cemetery

see Old Rock Creek Cemetery

Old Cemetery-Ossian Cemetery

see Old Ossian Cemetery

Old Henry Miller Cemetery

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Old Hoverstock Cemetery

see Zanesville Cemetery

Old Ossian Cemetery

a.k.a. Old Cemetery and Ossian Cemetery and Young Cemetery

Location: In Ossian, Indiana on Young Street at Norwalt Street, Jefferson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “Due to destruction caused by vandalism, it was impossible to catalog all the names and data of this cemetery. Many names in this history were extracted from an old record kept by a former custodian, however his record did not contain any of the dates. This cemetery has not been used for many years as a public burial ground. Data was compiled by Mrs.Ernest Middaugh, Scott Jones and Jerry Dowty.”

According to a newspaper article: (no name or date noted) “The “Old Cemetery”, which is located on Young Street in the southwest corner of Ossian came into being in 1847. The land was donated for burying ground by J. R. Lafever, William Craig and John Ogden….Following its dedication in 1847, more than 160 people were buried therin, at least seven of whom were veterans….” The veterans mentioned in the article are listed in this index.

S. Dailey walked this during the summer of 1999.

No records available.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Old Rock Creek Cemetery

a.k.a. Old St. Paul Cemetery

Location: On County Road 300 N east of County Road 200 W in Rock Creek Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “Older residents of this area cannot recall any other name for this except the Old Cemetery. It lies across the road from the Saint Paul Lutheran Church and Saint Paul Cemetery. The first burial here was that of Jonathan Decker in 1846. Data was submitted by Mr. Homer Bayless, member of the Wells County Historical Society.”

J. Christian and V. Tester walked this cemetery during the summer of 2000. In trying to find information on this cemetery no records seem to be in existence. The cemetery has a wrought iron fence in one corner that appears to be a Miller family plot. C. McAfee said in 1999 that he is unaware of any records for this cemetery. C. Sellers comments in a letter to C. Brubaker that “OLD ST PAUL CEMETERY (as the family & the obits refer to it)” Old Rock Creek is another name used when referring to this cemetery.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Old St. Paul Cemetery

See Old Rock Creek Cemetery

Old Salem Cemetery

a.k.a. Kreps Cemetery

Location: On County Road 700 E south of State Road 218 in Nottingham Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “Once known as Kreps Cemetery because of it’s location near the small hamlet of Kreps which is no longer in existence and because it was established on land once owned by the Kreps family. After the erection of the Old Salem Church directly in front of the cemetery the name automatically was changed to Old Salem Cemetery. The first person buried here was Sarah Lindsay in 1844. Data was compiled by Mr. Hugh Cobb and Mr. Clarence Minniear.”

S. Dailey walked this cemetery in 1999.

L. Dubach brought in a copy of his information in July of 1999. We incorporated the information into this revised edition.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Old Uniontown Cemetery

Location: On County Road 1150 N east of County Road 200 W in Union Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “This cemetery lies in section # 2, about ¼ mile back of the new Uniontown Cemetery and was used by residents of the Uniontown settlement before the new cemetery was established. The first person buried here was Amos, son of William & S Walker 1848. Data was compiled by Mr. & Mrs. Clarence Minniear, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “ Union township was the last township to be organized…not open for settlement until 1846, having been a part of the Miami Indian Reservation…first settlers…William Rosseau, James Edmundson, Joseph Rich, Milton Davis, Jacob DeWitt, John Wandel, Joseph Davis and E. Bagley”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery in 1999. R. McBride sent some information in 1998 that he had on the cemetery. It seems V. M. and L. A. Woods walked the cemetery in April 1980. The information from these various sources was incorporated into the index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Ossian Cemetery

see Old Ossian Cemetery

P

Poor Farm Cemetery

a.k.a. County Home Cemetery and Ifnirmary Cemetery

Location: The County Home building still exists on County Home Road between County Roads 350 S and 400 S, Wells County, Indiana.

There are no signs of where the cemetery was. It was not included in the original index and records seem to be unavailable. Names have been gleaned from funeral home records.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Prairie View Cemetery

a.k.a. Tocsin Cemetery

Location: The County Home building still exists on County Home Road between County Roads 350 S and 400 S, Wells County, Indiana.

There are no signs of where the cemetery was. It was not included in the original index and records seem to be unavailable. Names have been gleaned from funeral home records.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Prospect Cemetery

a.k.a. Wells County Cemetery and Union Township Cemetery and Indiana Cemetery

Location: On County Road 900 N east of County Road 100 W in Union Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The land for Prospect Cemetery was donated by Leif Osborn. The original Prospect Church, erected of hand-hewn logs, was located on the east side of the cemetery. The present Church site lies across the road from the cemetery and the first person buried therein was the infant son of John Scott in 1838. Others buried there include all the charter members of the Church, a young Indian boy and a Negro slave girl. Data was submitted by Scott Jones and Jerry Dowty.”

The Wells County, Indiana Family History 1837-1992 (WC 977.272 WE) states “On December 22, 1853, an acre of land was purchased from Levi Osborn …The Prospect Cemetery now covers the entire acre and every charter members is buried there.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “ Union township was the last township to be organized…not open for settlement until 1846, having been a part of the Miami Indian Reservation…first settlers…William Rosseau, James Edmundson, Joseph Rich, Milton Davis, Jacob DeWitt, John Wandel, Joseph Davis and E. Bagley”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery in 1999/2000.

Borrowed cemetery book in July 1999, copied and incorporated information into this revision. Minnie Kinnerk information also added to this updated index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

R

Redding Cemetery

Location: On County Road 500 W south of 300 N in Rock Creek Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states: “The land for the Redding Cemetery was originally owned by William Redding and was used as a family burial ground only. It is no longer in use. The first person buried here was Elizabeth, the wife of William Redding, October 9, 1836. Data was compiled by Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Minniear, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

Clarence McAfee stated in 1999 he is not aware of any records for this cemetery.

Connie Brubaker and Ben Brubaker walked this cemetery in 2000.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Right Cemetery

see Tomlinson Cemetery

Rockford Cemetery

see Friends Cemetery

S

Six Mile Cemetery

Location: On State Road 116, 3 miles southeast of Bluffton in Harrison Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The Six Mile Cemetery lies across the road from the Six Mile Church. A part of the ground for the cemetery was donated by Adam Miller. In 1837 prayer meetings were held in the homes of Squire Thomas Van Horn and other settlers by the Reverend Hallet Barber. During these meetings the first church of Wells County was organized on September 2, 1838, The church building was constructed of logs and was located about one mile south of the present church site. Data was compiled by Mrs. Fay Hauk, Miss Grace Smith and Miss Frances Smith, members of the Wells County Historical Society. “

M. Schlagenhauf walked this cemetery and searched the church records. She created a book titled Six Mile Cemetery Index (WC 929.5 SC). Her information was incorporated into this updated index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Snow Cemetery

Location: On County Road 475 W and south of 800 S in Chester Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “Snow Cemetery lies in the northwestern part of section #17. The ground was originally owned by John and Susanna Gruver. Julia Snow was the first person buried here in 1845. Later Sewell Snow purchased this farm from the Gruver family and a part was reserved as a public burial ground. More land was added to the cemetery later by Mr. & Mrs. Lyman Zehner. In 1923 an association was formed and it became officially known as Snow Cemetery. Data was submitted by Mrs. Opal Bell Blevins, member of the Wells County Historical Society.”

No cemetery record or map.

B. Elliott and C. Powell walked this cemetery in 1999.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Sonner Cemetery

see Jones Cemetery (Union Township)

Sparks Cemetery

Location: On the Wells-Huntington county line north of County Road 300 N in Rock Creek Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The Sparks Cemetery ground was donated by Mr. Solomon Sparks. The first burial was Rebecca Strauss in 1836. The cemetery association was organized March 30, 1912. Data was compiled by Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Minniear, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “Some of the earliest settlers…

Rockcreek township were Jacob Miller…1832; William Barton…1836 and took up residence in a hollow sycamore tree on the Samuel McAfee farm. Between 1832 and 1848 others that came…Mr. Dewitt, William Redding, Solomon Johnson, Thomas Wallace, Matthew Davis, Theodore Ellingham, a Mr. Smith and Mr. Brown.”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery in 2000.

No cemetery records available.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Spider Hill Cemetery

Location: On County Road 500 W and north of County Road 200 W in Rock Creek Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “ The ground for Methodist Cemetery (also know as Spider Hill) was purchased in 1861 from the Schnolity family. The Methodist Church was erected here in 1867/8 then was later moved to Rockford, Indiana. Later this Church was abandoned and the congregation moved to it’s present site, a short distance north of the old cemetery. Eliza Young was buried here in 1824. Data was compiled by Mr. Clarence Minniear a member of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “Some of the earliest settlers…

Rockcreek township were Jacob Miller…1832; William Barton…1836 and took up residence in a hollow sycamore tree on the Samuel McAfee farm. Between 1832 and 1848 others that came…Mr. Dewitt, William Redding, Solomon Johnson, Thomas Wallace, Matthew Davis, Theodore Ellingham, a Mr. Smith and Mr. Brown.”

The cemetery is no longer associated with the church and the Spider Hill Cemetery people stress this fact and the name change.

S. Dailey walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999. Cemetery records were borrowed from J. Gilbert in June of 2000, copied and the information incorporated into this revised edition.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

St. John Cemetery (Harrison Township)

a.k.a. Vera Cruz Cemetery

Location: On the Wells-Adams county line north of County Road 300 S in Harrison Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “This cemetery was first established by the St. John’s Reformed Church of Vera Cruz but is used as a public burial ground. The first persons buried here were Johan and Anna Maria Mertz in 1819 and 1817??. Data was submitted by Mrs. Gertrude Bilbee, member of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition lists the early setters for Harrison Township: “Abraham Studabaker came to Wells county in 1833…his sons here, John, in 1838, and Willialm, in 1839. Almon Case…arrived in 1836…” There is no listing for Mertz in the article.

Several of the headstones are written in German.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

St. John Cemetery (Union Township)

Location: On County Road 200 W and south of County Road 1000 N, Section 14 of Union Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original index states “The St. John Cemetery was established by the St. John Lutheran Church and both occupied land originally owned by Mr. Edward Platt. The Church is no longer in existence. The first adult to be buried here was Mrs. Catherine Fusselman in 1858. Data was compiled by Mr. and Mrs. Harold Krinn, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery in 1999.

B. Imel let us copy the cemetery map. We added that information into this revised index.

Minnie Kinnerk was a caretaker for the Waynedale Cemetery. She kept information on several cemeteries in northern Wells County. Her records were also incorporated into this index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

St. Paul Cemetery

Location: On County Road 300 N west of County Road 100 W, in Rock Creek Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The Saint Paul Cemetery lies adjacent to the Saint Paul Lutheran Church and was established after space in the Old Cemetery became exhausted. The earliest burial was Homer Houtz who died in 1849. Data was submitted by Mr. Homer Bayless, member of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Wells County, Indiana Family History 1837-1992 (WC 977.272 WE) states “The site for the church and cemetery was given by Abraham Mast. The first person buried in the cemetery was Mikel Swartz in 1860”.

J. Christian and V. Tester walked this cemetery during the summer of 2000.

L. Gilbert let us borrow the cemetery book and copy it in July 1999. The information was incorporated into this revised index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Stahl Cemetery

Location: On County Road 700 S ½ mile west of State Road 1 in Nottingham Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The land for Stahl Cemetery was donated by Mr. Benjamin Stahl, Mr. Reubin Stahl and Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stout. The cemetery association was incorporated in 1919. The first person to be buried here was a Stahl infant in 1835. Data was compiled by Mr. & Mrs. Guy Martin and Mr. Richard Dailey, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states Joseph Blackledge first settler in 1837. “John Dawson, Lyman Bass, Hezekiah Grimes, Peter Garner, Abram Stahl, John Nutter, Isaac and Edward Haynes, Robert Smith and William Nutter came here with their families in the year following Blackledge’s settlement….Jacob Warner…in 1838”

T. Burns walked this cemetery and has updated the records through July 21, 2001. The driveways within Stahl Cemetery divide it into five sections. There are three sections along the north side and two sections along the south side with the larger of the two being roughly twice the size of the other four sections and also the oldest section. For ease in locating graves, this index denotes the four smaller sections as northwest (nw), north central (nc), northeast (ne) and southeast (se). Any entry not carrying one of these notations can be assumed to be in the larger section.

All Stahl records before 1928 were destroyed in a fire. The records that are available were copied in June 1999 and that information was incorporated into this revised index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

T

Tocsin Cemetery

see Prairie View Cemetery

Tomlinson Cemetery

a.k.a. Wright Cemetery and Right Cemetery and Underwood Cemetery

Location: On Jeff Road east of County Road 700 W in Jackson Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The Tomlinson Cemetery, once known as Wright and once known as Underwood, was first established when a fur trapper and a part-time laborer for the Wright family was buried on their farm. His identity and data are unknown. The next burial was Harriet Mason in 1839. Data was compiled by Mr. and Mrs. Carlin Schoeff, members of the Wells County Historical Society.”

The Evening New-Banner centennial edition states in the history of Jackson Township “Early Settler Listed. Nathaniel Batson, John Jones, and Daniel Jones arrived in 1836 and located near the present site of Batson bridge on state road 3…In the latter part of 1836 and during 1837-38 …On the north side of the river was Henry Huffman, Phillip Roush, Henry Wolfgang, Sampson Richards, Jacob Clingenpeel, Andrew Morrison, Truman Lounsbury, Chris Miller, George Colbert, and Sam Batson…south side of the river David Miller, Zebulon Swaim, Henry Wright, Elijah Graves, Jack Perfect, William McIntire, Richard McIntire, James Turner, William Tomlinson, Amos Alspach, Jonathan Lee, Bowen Thorp, Robert Alexander, William Rea Sr., John McFadden, Reason Beavington, Burket Elkins, Samuel Palmer, John Booher Sr., John Baker Sr., William Burkland and Joel Ebersole. Jacob Minnich…1834… Samuel Good…1838…”

C. Gilbert and J. Maxwell walked this cemetery during the summer of 1999.

No records available
The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

U

Underwood Cemetery

see Tomlinson Cemetery

Uniontown Cemetery

Location: On County Road 1150 N east of County Road 200 W, in Union Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “The Uniontown Cemetery came into existence after the Uniontown Church was built in 1830.Until this time most residents of this vicinity had used the old Uniontown Cemetery which lies a short distance back of the present site. At one time there was a small settlement here which was also called Uniontown. The first person buried in the new Uniontown Cemetery was Mrs. Samuel (Susannah) Nickelson, September 24, 1825. Data was compiled by Mrs. Ival Allen and Miss Susan Allen.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “ Union township was the last township to be organized…not open for settlement until 1846, having been a part of the Miami Indian Reservation…first settlers…William Rosseau, James Edmundson, Joseph Rich, Milton Davis, Jacob DeWitt, John Wandel, Joseph Davis and E. Bagley”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery in 1999.

Bill Trumbower brought in information, we copied it and incorporated it into this revised index.

Minnie Kinnerk was a caretaker for the Waynedale Cemetery. She kept information on several cemeteries in northern Wells County. Her records were also incorporated into this index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

V

Vera Cruz Cemetery

see St. John Cemetery (Harrison Township)

W

Wells County Cemetery

This is a list of people listed in the various funeral home records. The records would list a cemetery or say Wells County, Indiana; however, we were not able to verify the cemetery or identify which cemetery. Eventually we hope to identify which cemetery and transfer the information.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton - partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.

Wright Cemetery

see Tomlinson Cemetery

Y

Young Cemetery

see Old Ossian Cemetery

Z

Zanesville Cemetery

Location: On State Road 303 / County Road 300 W, ½ mile south of Zanesville in Union Township, Wells County, Indiana.

The original introduction states “This is probably the oldest cemetery in the county. The first person to be buried here was Elijah Sink in 1806. Other early dates in this cemetery are1808, 1814, 1815, 1820, 1821, 1824, 1828 and 1838. This data was compiled by Mr. and Mrs. Harold Waters, Wayne Waters and Greg Waters.”

The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “ Union township was the last township to be organized…not open for settlement until 1846, having been a part of the Miami Indian Reservation…first settlers…William Rosseau, James Edmundson, Joseph Rich, Milton Davis, Jacob DeWitt, John Wandel, Joseph Davis and E. Bagley.”

C. Brubaker walked this cemetery in 1999.

G. Roebuck let us copy the cemetery books in July 1999. That information was incorporated into this revised index.

Minnie Kinnerk was a caretaker for the Waynedale Cemetery. She kept information on several cemeteries in northern Wells County. Her records were also incorporated into this index.

The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.

  • Brown Funeral Home - Warren
  • Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home - Ossian
  • Jahn Funeral Home - Bluffton
  • McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
  • Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
  • Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
  • Warfield Funeral Home - Montpelier

Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.